Wednesday 23 January 2013

Back To Where It All Began. Again.

Pete is here!

Back in Bangkok again, I met up with my Pete fresh off the plane from snowy London. All this worrying about whether or not he would be able to take off on time or take off at all due to the snowstorms and in the end it was my flight from Clark that was delayed by four hours for no apparent reason. Thanks, Seair.

It was nice to have a few days in Bangkok again; I got to do and see things I didn't have time for during my two last visits, like take a city tour on a Tuk Tuk, go to the Grand Palace, and visit the best rooftop bar in Bangkok, Sky Bar.

City Tour on a Tuk Tuk
We took a two hour tour around Bangkok in a Tuk Tuk, visited some temples, tailor shops, and a jewellery factory. The Tuk Tuk drivers will take you to these tailors and jewellery factories with or without your consent as it means they get stamps for petrol as a part of a government scheme (and more stamps if you buy something hence the look of disappointment when you walk out empty-handed). I didn't mind being taken around as I found it quite fascinating especially since I had decided to get myself a cashmere and silk tailor-made three piece suit at some point (when I have more time) - I mean, how could I not? The finest materials made to measure for a lesser price than a suit from Zara! I'm on a mission!


The jewellery factory was just torture. I should have played the lottery more often before I left is all I can say. The selection of gorgeous rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings made of yellow gold, white gold, silver and all kinds of sparkling semiprecious stones was overwhelming. I've never seen anything like it. It was very difficult to walk away empty handed - in fact I'm going to go as far as saying it was one of the most difficult decisions of my life, especially after I had set my eyes and heart on a ruby set including a pendant, earrings, and a ring. It would have looked stunning with my (for now) imaginary tailor made cashmere/silk suit.

Pete also managed to resist the temptation of buying me beautiful jewellery. I don't know how but I'm sure it won't happen again.

The Grand Palace
The Grand Palace
The Grand Palace is nothing short of Grand. It consists of the royal residence, a number of government offices and the famous Temple of the Emerald Buddha (a statue when first discovered was thought to have been carved out of emerald but turned out to be jade); all laid out over an area of 218,000 square meters, surrounded by four walls totalling 1,900 meters in length.

The Reclining Buddha




Whilst impressive, I feel templed out. I've just seen one too many Buddhas in the last six weeks and the only one out of these ones that really impressed me was the golden Reclining Buddha, 45 meters in length, lying on his side. It was impossible to take a picture of the statue as it took up most of the room so I couldn't go back far enough to get the whole thing in one shot!



Sky Bar
I think the highlight of the night was the fact that I wore make-up. Oh how I had missed the make-up version of my reflection in the mirror! It's not that I've lost interest in my appearance, but it is just generally way too hot and humid to be wearing make-up; for me at least.

My verdict on Sky Bar: it's worth every penny. Sexy rooftop bar on the 63rd floor of a skyscraper with a live music band, most magnificent views and signature cocktails guaranteed to take all your senses Sky High. I'll have five, please! It was so good that we didn't want to leave, and therefore what was meant to be one drink turned into two cocktails and later dinner. Would you have thanked no to crispy Chilean sea bass in a champagne butter sauce? Didn't think so.

A wonderful experience and a nice taster (and teaser) of the highlife.

If you're ever in Bangkok don't forget to stop by this gate to heaven.

Price Disparities
What doesn't cease to astound me is the difference in price of certain things in relation to others. Like Pete pointed out, the Häagendasz ice cream treat we enjoyed at the Grand Palace was £12. Compare that to the two hour Tuk Tuk ride around town from earlier that day for the equivalent of £0.90. Or the £1 Phad Thai from a street cart vs my £100 meal at Sky Bar. Or the fact that one glass of decent wine will cost you the same as three nights at a backpackers dorm.
Me eating a grasshopper

Or perhaps a grasshopper for 20 baht?

New backpack
Very disappointingly my small backpack wasn't doing a great job at staying alive. The straps were suffering badly, the top strap had already broken and one of the side straps was about to tear off. I didn't want to wait until that day arrived so I decided to take advantage of the fact that I was in Bangkok and get a new bag. After some shopping around I opted for a (what I'm sure is a fake) "North Face" 40 litre bag. Never had I imagined I'd be that excited about a £16 backpack!! You couldn't wipe that smile off my face even if you tried! You'd have thought I had just purchased new shoes or something, that's how happy my new bag made me. I think I packed and repacked it three times in three different ways I was that happy about my new travel equipment. It's the little things, right? Jenkins seems to like his new home too :)

Temples. And then some more Temples.
View from the Sky Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment