Thursday 10 January 2013

The Burger I Ate in Angeles, Philippines

I shall never forget the burger I ate in Angeles, Philippines. And the reason I will never forget the burger I ate in Angeles, Philippines, is because as a consequence of my own stupidity of eating this burger in Angeles, Philippines, I stayed up all night suffering with severe "Traveller's tummy" only to have had to board a plane to fly to Palawan the next morning, and having to go to ER straight from the airport. Who in their right mind eats a quarter pounder when they've been having trouble with their stomach for a solid two weeks? Oh that's right, me. Could have eaten an apple, or some crackers, but no; since my stomach was feeling ever so slightly better I went for the burger. Half way through I realised it had been a mistake but there was no turning back.

Angeles wasn't a place I much cared for. I was only there "in transit" as I flew there from BKK and a day and a half later onwards to Puerto Princesa in Palawan. If you are looking for a cheap flight to the Philippines, you will most likely fly to Angeles rather than Manila. There's not really much to say about Angeles but then again I am not sure I can say that I gave the place half a chance to impress me either. To me it seemed like a pretty rough town.

By the time I got to Angeles I had had a bad tummy for the best part of two weeks, progressively getting worse but with some good days too. I decided to take this time in Angeles and use it for resting before flying further to Palawan. A good plan in theory, but unfortunately I have a very short memory and rationale when I'm hungry. I hadn't had stomach problems for a whole six hours so I declared myself healthy and decided to have a massive burger at the hotel for dinner, idiot.

After a sleepless night I had no choice but to drag my dehydrated self, backpacks and all, to the airport. Luckily during the night I had managed to expel the whole meal including the last of the french fries so my stomach was empty and the flight went without any embarrassing incidents.

I bet you I was a funny sight, sitting in the tricycle with my bags looking like I had no clue, being chauffeured to ER! Not a totally unpleasant experience, the hospital. I was seen within 10 minutes of arriving and had antibiotics in my hand within the next 10. I felt better within hours, ready for action! I do hope I learned my lesson from this experience although knowing myself and my fish memory I doubt it. I was already considering having some delicious looking street food from a food cart down the street. Speaking of which, it is dinner time....

And that is the story of the burger I ate in Angeles, Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment