Saturday 12 January 2013

Same Same But Different

When still in Bangkok I went shopping to a real mall and bought some real "Western" clothes rather than any of the "same same but different" tourist crap they sell in all the markets in every country and city, or the locals' clothes which, incidentally, wouldn't fit me no matter how hard I tried to suck it in. Had to pay big bucks for the imported high street brands, but I had no beach wear and desperately needed some - I didn't think combat trousers would be all that comfortable on the beach!

When I got to the Philippines I realised I was kind of more excited about my new beach clothes than being in a new exotic country. I suppose after a while it all becomes "same same but different" - and I don't by any means mean that I am not loving every second of my journey. What I mean is that there have been and will be so many new and unique experiences to take in that they become the norm rather than the exception. Each new city is equally as special as the last and therefore "the same" whilst still being different - you couldn't compare the temples of Angkor to the beach life in the Philippines. Instead, the real new thing for me is a brand new piece of clothing in my wardrobe that has otherwise remained same same for five weeks.

I have finally reached that point where I am super organised. I know exactly which side and how deep I need to reach in my backpack to get anything. This order of things developed progressively so that the things I need the most are always easily accessible. In this process I have identified which things are the most important to me and I couldn't do without.

My most valued possessions :
- Hand sanitizer. I go through about a bottle a week
- Baby wipes. I wipe everything; fruit, forks, hands, toilet seats....also perfect to freshen up on long days of hiking
- My pink Ikea inflatable neck pillow - can't remember the last bus / train / plane ride I didn't use it
- Swiss Army knife. In all honesty I should call it the bottle opener. But also good for opening plastic bags and containers, cutting bread, spreading butter / cheese on bread
- Peg less washing line. Set it up anywhere to dry towel, bikinis etc
- Microfibre towel. Works as a towel, moonlights as a blanket and shield from the wind.
- Super water and sweat resistant aerosol sport sunscreen. A lot may go to waste but I prefer it over creams and spays; doesn't stick or make you greasy, plus don't have to get your hands dirty. Nothing worse than having to apply sunscreen with your hands when you're on the beach and there's sand and dust everywhere.
- My iPad. Typing on it right now, use it every single day. Perfect for entertainment (movies, TV series, reading books) on long bus rides as well as for booking travel and accommodation. And Facebook.
- My over-the-top organised travel document folder. I can find any piece of paper in seconds.

Things I am not using but still lugging around:
- Yoga matt. Ah, the dilemma of the yoga matt..... Still haven't used it but I'm hoping one day I will need it as I'd like to take a yoga course, or perhaps go on a meditation retreat. A bit of a pain to lug around when you're not using it though.

Like almost every night, I'm enjoying my evening coffee on the terrace feeling the light breeze on my face looking forward to the next day.

Same same. But different.

No comments:

Post a Comment